Saturday, May 9, 2009

Square Foot Gardening

You may or may not know that I prefer a day in my yard, rather than a day in my house. I love yard work, and I love gardening. Last year my friend Krista introduced to me to the concept of "square foot gardening". It is not for everyone, but I love it. My yard is somewhat small, so it is vital that I use every square foot wisely. Hence the concept! We have two 3x6 boxes that are squared off by the foot, you'd be surprised by how much you can plant in one square foot, and it looks neat and organized. When my entire garden has sprouted I will post some pictures, plus I am excited about my new garden area along my rock wall! By accident tonight, I stunbled along this cool web site that helps you plan your garden, it's brilliant. I wish I had found this earlier, my drawings every spring are rudimentary compared to this simple and fast way. Check it out here, and give it a try! Also, I highly recommend Mel Bartholomew's book. It is my second bible!

2 comments:

Krista Dodd said...

Thanks for the shout out! I checked out that garden planning website and it is aweseome. See you on Sunday!

Lisa Johnson said...

Hey! My dad has been doing this for YEARS! He even has that book! If I had known you were interested I totally would have told you about it long ago!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails